To add to John's photos --- I woke to yipping at around 5 am today. After realizing the sound came from outside, I looked out the window and watched a canine walking along the edge of our woods - slowly and methodically. Because of my state of half-sleep and the very dim light, couldn't really tell if fox or coyote. Track size and gait were fox. Scat also definitely looked like fox. And I've seen fox in our yard before. But would we see gray fox?
Suzanne, does a fox "yip," and did you measure the footprint? According to our handy-dandy tracking reference, there's a slight overlap between a coyote and red fox. The grey fox straddle and stride are smaller.
3 comments:
To add to John's photos ---
I woke to yipping at around 5 am today. After realizing the sound came from outside, I looked out the window and watched a canine walking along the edge of our woods - slowly and methodically. Because of my state of half-sleep and the very dim light, couldn't really tell if fox or coyote. Track size and gait were fox. Scat also definitely looked like fox. And I've seen fox in our yard before. But would we see gray fox?
Suzanne, does a fox "yip," and did you measure the footprint? According to our handy-dandy tracking reference, there's a slight overlap between a coyote and red fox. The grey fox straddle and stride are smaller.
Duh! OK, I'm waking up and see the photos. Stride does look like grey fox.
Post a Comment